Finally, Some Good News

I need to say a few words of gratitude for a belated father’s day 

First to my dad. My ability to endure cancer is rooted in my upbringing. It probably originated in WW2. Growing up in a Nazi occupied Holland, my dad learned that no matter how bad it gets, you keep on living, working and surviving.  He and my mom passed this onto me. I am also thankful that my parents love me unconditionally and support me in every way possible.

Second, to my husband.  He is my Superman. He comes home after one job, goes to the next, gets home and finishes the laundry and cleaning the kitchen around midnight then gets up early again to prepare the kids for school and repeat his day. He also seems to find a way to fit in a work out, bike ride or ski all the while making sure I’m OK.  But mostly, he also loves me unconditionally - my bald head, my choice to forego reconstruction, my emotional roller coaster days. Jeff is the main reason I can keep fighting this nasty disease day after day after day.     

So let’s get to some good news now.

  1. My liver is working again. 

My blood tests for liver function were really messed up.  They were normal at my last chemo. Sadly I can’t do tequila shots to celebrate. I need to be nice to my liver forever and for always.  Perhaps just a sip of someone’s bubbly?

  1. My cancer tumour markers were down. 

My CA 125 is down to within norms and my CA 153 dropped from 220 to 120. Apparently this is a remarkable result with only 2 rounds of chemo. I truly believe in the miracle of modern medicine, the prayers and positive vibes. 

  1. I am now covered for about a year’s worth of Perjeta.

I have been working hours a day at my funding issues. One dose at a time.  Perjeta is holding a BOGO sale. Ha! The cost of each treatment will be $3500 rather than $7000. Apparently I got a double dose to start.  I found a grace period in my new contract that covers me until the end of August. My awesome financial support assistant at Big Pharma arranged so I don’t even have to pay up front and wait to claim it as initially anticipated.  And with the half price sale, Jeff’s benefits will cover 14 rounds rather than 7. This means I am now covered for almost a year!  Which buys me time to negotiate further, fundraise and advocate to the provincial government.

Some very special angels have already started the fundraising effort by enlisting some local businesses to donate 10% of their sales to ME this coming weekend. Honestly, I’m not sure what I’ve done to deserve such thoughtful acts. I do know that I will take the positive energy from this and move forward to advocate for others with metastatic cancer so that we don’t need to be in this non-funded-medication situation to begin with.



Well, all that good news called for celebration. So during my marathon chemo day (8 hours) my colleagues threw me a belated bday party. I expected a handful of rehab staff. But most of Squamish home care came. We had mexican food, decorations and even virgin margaritas. They also were so very generous to help me purchase my new Macbook. Love you guys!






So that about sums up most of my good news. I am hoping for more soon. I had my follow up CT scan and blood work last week. I see Dr Tequila on July 4.

We’ve had lots of visitors. FIrst my mom and Karin (big sister #2) to help me ease back into my role as a patient. It was a tough time those first couple of weeks and I just wanted my mom around. Even if we couldn’t talk about how scary it really was.

Then Dicky (big sis #1)  came to help me through my first round of 3 chemo drugs. Karin and my niece Laura and her beautiful baby Kayla came to visit too and for the first time since I was a little girl, my sisters and I spent my birthday together. Chocolate cake and rock band. Simple but perfect and my sister’s duets were pretty hilarious.

Finally, my sis-in-law from Toronto came to help during the chaotic dance show week. We chatted like we were long time friends, she cooked and baked up a storm for us and then helped with all the driving back and forth to the theatre. The dance show was the best ever and she was thrilled to be part of it. We were thrilled to have her help.

We are off to Toronto for a big family reunion, time at the farm with the family and Lucas is off to canoe tripping camp in Temagami, a Gordon family tradition. I think he’s going to have the time of his life!

Love to all! Xoxo 






Comments

Popular Posts