The Myth of Multitasking




So this term has been bothering me for several years. Probably because I don’t think I’m very good at it anymore.  But maybe because multi-tasking, as most perceive it, isn’t really possible.

Let me qualify myself here; I have a fair amount of professional and personal experience in the area.  
  • I spent several years studying neuro-anatomy, neurophysiology and neurorehab at UBC
  • I worked in mental health- much more neurological that you may think
  •  I worked in community-based brain injury with some very skilled OT’s in the field of cognitive rehab.  I studied Joan Toglia’s Multicontextual Approach to Cognitive Rehabilitation where I learned most of what I apply in my job.
  • When I started home care I became immersed in the Healthy Brain model with my favourite ever psychiatrist, brilliant Dr Stephen Kiraly.  Interestingly he had this model up and running in geriatric mental health and long term care before Daniel Amen and a number of other world famous physicians were on PBS promoting a healthy brain.  I adapted it for use with my acquired brain injury group. I had my 15 seconds of fame getting acknowledged in his published book.
  • My husband had a mild traumatic brain injury (MTBI) in 2004 and between the 2 of us came up with cognitive and emotional strategies –through blood, sweat and many tears on my part- to survive and thrive as a couple and family. Note here: 90% of couples split up after a significant brain injury – maybe it helps that we’ve both had them….
  • I had my first of several concussions while preparing for Dr Kiraly to come to speak to my brain injury group.  That story demands it’s very own blog post.
  • “Multifactorial Brain Fog” – better known as CHEMO BRAIN – I’m not sure if it’s caused by the stress of cancer and treatment or the actual effect cancer and treatment has on the brain though I’m 100% convinced that it’s alive and kicking in me.

That all being said – the brain is much more complex than anything one could imagine. Perhaps I only know .00000001% of what there is to know about the brain. Though living it definitely gives me advantages.

So onto the topic of multitasking. I’m just going to throw out my personal theories here. No solid references, no controlled studies.

I read a little article in Reader’s Digest (yes, very scientific) that explained that one’s IQ drops several points while multitasking.  That one performs better if one focuses on one thing at a time. That one is more productive this way. That it’s less stressful.  I wholly agree. 

However, society values multitasking greatly and with modern technology demands it. Even our super-phones are designed to do multiple tasks at once. But is the brain really able to do this? I’m not convinced.

I do think the brain multitasks – it controls our breathing, heartbeat, digestion, balance, muscle movements etc without us “thinking about it” as we go about our day. We stay upright and breathing while we chop vegetables. I guess that’s multitasking. However, many perceive multitasking as a doing many conscious tasks at once. Perhaps it’s more about ATTENTION.

I look at most cognitive tasks as related to ATTENTION, not multitasking.  Hopefully I can explain myself by describing different types:

1.       Sustained attention:  the ability to focus on something for a continuous amount of time. There is a definite start and stop quality to it. For example: watching a movie alone, listening to a piece of music, reading a book.  Sustaining your attention is actually quite challenging as so many distractions can come into play including your own thoughts.

2.       Selective attention: the ability to focus on a specific stimulus while ignoring the distracting stimuli. Yup that’s challenging. Imagine trying to do a very difficult puzzle in the middle of a busy airport.  I like to do my most challenging work in a quiet, low light, peaceful location.  

3.       Alternating attention: the ability to shift between two different tasks or stimuli – often back and forth between them. Making dinner while helping with your child’s homework would be an example.

4.       Divided attention:  the ability to pay attention to more than one task at a time. This is our highest level of attention. Driving is a perfect example of this. You have to watch the road and your mirrors, adjust your steering and foot control, and listen. Please note that talking on a cell phone – even with a hands free option – is just as bad as driving after drinking alcohol. 

     I also think there are likely several movement and balance related attentions that are proprioceptive and kinesthetic in nature but I haven't researched this.

      When I think of multitasking I think more in terms of a combination of these different types of attention. Take my daughter for example. She wants constant stimulation of all her senses. As I write this she is writing a story (sustained attention), while watching a movie on the Ipad (alternating attention) with earphones on (selective attention) while swinging her legs and eating (divided attention). I can’t even come close to achieving all that. I’m a one task kind of gal now. Likely always have been.
   
I actually wonder if Attention Deficit (AD) individuals have a great advantage in the real world. Perhaps it’s a gift to move between thoughts, ideas and actions so quickly. I like to think about Percy Jackson, a fictional teen character who is ADHD and discovers he is a Greek demi-god. The quality of AD allows him to always be prepared to battle monsters. Not really a bad quality. I think I know several adults who appear AD. They are tireless, fun, social and seem to have so many things on the go and don’t appear stressed...

As I reassemble myself after concussions and cancer I have noticed I just don’t have the cognitive capacity I used to. Before all that I had excellent attention and memory.  School came easy. I used to be able to recall an entire 2 hour home visit in detail without a note, 2 years later. Not so now. 

At one time I couldn’t even walk on level ground while turning my head to look at someone without hitting the pavement. And the other day I juiced 4 oranges directly onto the counter and floor when Sabrina was telling me about her day and I was making dinner – pretty bad alternating/divided attention. I also tend to completely forget tasks, details, if I don’t set several alarms and reminders on my phone AND write them all over sticky notes and my paper daytimer. Yikes, I hope this gets easier soon.  A mentor of mine told me that the first 90% comes easy; the last 10% can take years. 

Thank God for NEUROPLASTICITY. I love this word and I love all that it entails. Basically it means that the brain is capable of making new pathways to accommodate for disease or injury.  When you add the ability to manipulate the environment for success you can achieve goals you never thought achievable. I always tell my clients this. I believe it in my soul. And I get to see miracles.  When I’m exhausted and frustrated and lacking in hope I need to remind myself of it.

So next time you think about multitasking, take a moment and think in terms of attention. Focus it, select it, alternate it and divide it.  Be mindful and patient despite the chaos of modern life.

And that’s all folks. My attention is running out!

Patricia

Check this out....
 



Comments

Popular Posts